Latest News: March 17, 2009 - Visx Star S4 IR with Customvue aberrometer treatment
We have now formally shifted our refractive laser practice to a new site.
The new site boasts both the very latest in custom aberrometer wavefront"super-vision" refractive LASIK as well as reduced professional procedure fees for the patient. Basically the best available treatment at the current state of Excimer laser development worldwide.
The aim of treatment in every patient is better than 6/6 or 20/20 vision .
It is hoped that this new move will increase the convenience for our patients, while continuing to provide the standard of service that has established and maintained the well-known reputation of Dr Basil Al Zeerah, practising since 1997 in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
Today’s laser vision correction treatments seem to nearly effortlessly free people from their dependence on glasses and contact lenses. Irrespective of that perception, the excimer lasers used to create this modern day miracle are some of the most sophisticated medical devices ever invented.
With over 10 million laser vision correction procedures having been performed worldwide, there is a strong competition amongst excimer laser manufacturers to establish market position for their devices so as to maximize device sales and revenues from per procedure royalties. Such competition has created unprecedented advancement in excimer laser technology and numerous device enhancements that have served to improve procedure outcomes.
Unlike any other excimer laser manufacturer, VISX has been involved in the development of laser vision correction technology from the beginning. In many respects, it can be reasonably stated that VISX ‘invented’ laser vision correction. Many of its founders conceived of, enhanced or patented the core concepts of laser vision correction. The success of VISX, when compared to all other competing laser platforms past or present, has been primarily founded upon an unparalleled commitment and investment in Research and Development efforts in the field of Laser Vision Correction technology. Today these efforts are represented by their achievement of the capacity for delivering the most sophisticated Custom Wavefront procedures in the world.
Their industry and scientific accomplishments include:
· The widest FDA approval of any laser system worldwide providing superior surgical option for more patients than any other laser platform
· The highest level of resolution of wavefront refractive error due to the use of Fourier algorithms
· Active 3-D eye tracking compensates for intraoperative eye movement in all dimensions. No other platform has 3-D eye tracking capabilities
· Iris Registration (IR) – the only laser platform that centers and aligns the treatment while compensating for eye cyclorotation and physiologic pupil migration. VISX has the first and only fully FDA-approved, fully automated, non-contact method of alignment of the correct customized treatment to the corneal site
· The only system that compensates for pupil migration during physiologic pupil dilation resulting in more accurate laser pulse placement
· Variable Spot Scanning (VSS): The only platform that delivers variable beam sizes from as small as 0.65 mm up to 6.5 mm scanned over the treatment area thereby conserving tissue, optimizing treatment times, reducing corneal drying intra-operatively and reducing adverse thermal load to the delicate corneal tissue
· Variable Repetition Rate (VRR): VRR delivers treatment at varying repetition rates, optimizing treatment time and reducing the adverse effects of thermal loading of the delicate corneal tissue
· Conservative tissue removal which is surgeon selectable leading to good residual corneal strength and less risk for corneal ectasia / weakening
· Rate of patients needing surgical re-treatment for residual refractive error is one of the lowest in the industry
· The VISX Star is the first choice for refractive surgeons. There are more VISX systems used in the United States than all other competing laser platforms combined. That market dominance continues to increase as AMO-VISX continues to introduce additional advancements and technical innovations.
Wavefront Guided CustomVue: The CustomVue procedure from VISX tailors a distinct correction for each individual – in fact each treatment is “designed” by the unique characteristics of the individuals’ eyes. WaveScan technology captures unique imperfections in each individual’s vision that could not have been measured before. This new level of measurement provides 25-times more precision than measurements using standard methods for glasses and contact lenses. WaveScan technology produces a detailed map of the eye – much like a fingerprint, no two are alike and translates this information into a set of CustomVue treatment instructions for the laser. WaveScan transfers these digital treatment instructions to the laser, providing a new level of precision and accuracy.
The WaveScan WaveFront System is an ophthalmic diagnostic instrument that measures the refractive error and wavefront aberrations of the human eye using a Hartmann-Shack wavefront sensor. The measurements can be used to determine regular (sphero-cylindrical) refractive errors and irregularities (aberrations) that cause decreased or blurry vision in the human eye. The WaveScan software uses the information to create a custom tailored correction map for the unique characteristics of each individual eye.
WaveScan technology was originally developed for use in high-powered telescopes to reduce distortions when viewing distant objects in space. This technology has now been applied to laser vision correction, measuring imperfections in the eye never before measured using standard methods for glasses and contact lenses. WaveScan-based digital technology identifies and measures imperfections in your eyes 25 times more precisely than standard methods. The powerful WaveScan software translates the information into a set of CustomVue treatment instructions for the laser. These digital treatment instructions are then transferred to the laser, driving a new level of precision and accuracy.
Until now, eye doctors were forced to practice one-size-fits-all vision. An off-the-shelf lens can correct your vision fairly well, but it is not uniquely tailored to your fingerprint of vision. Now, with WaveScan technology, your eye doctor can custom tailor a correction for the unique characteristics of your vision.
The WaveScan WaveFront System provides:
· Fourier-based wavefront algorithms:
o Fourier delivers the highest resolution available of the wavefront error
o Uses more data points to derive the optimal shape
o Uses all data from any shape of pupil
o Accurately reconstructs all peripheral data
o Captures and treats higher and lower order aberrations up to 7 mm diameter pupil
· Acuity Maps®: Chart the optical aberrations of the eye.
· Difference Maps: Track the changes of the eye for pre-op and post-op comparisons.
· Point Spread Function (PSF): Demonstrates how a patient would see a point source of light
Beyond Glasses and Contact Lenses: Glasses and contacts are limited in their ability to correct unique imperfections in each individual's vision. In fact, thousands of individuals have the same prescription. With the CustomVue procedure, no two “prescriptions” are identical. This precise level of measurement and treatment can enable individuals to achieve the full potential of their vision.
Clinical Study Results:
VISX's FDA clinical study results were remarkable. Among other things:
· At one year after the VISX CustomVue procedure*;
o 100% of the clinical study participants could pass a driving test without glasses or contacts
o 98% of the clinical study participants could see 20/20 or better without glasses or contacts
o 70% of the clinical study participants could see 20/16 or better without glasses or contacts
o Four times as many clinical study participants were very satisfied with their night vision after the VISX CustomVue procedure, compared to their night vision before with glasses or contacts.
* FDA clinical results for Low to Moderate Myopia, Up to -6.0 D MRSE with or without astigmatism up to -3.0 DC
|Clinic 2, |
Building 159, Palace Avenue,
Block 318, Hoora.